- Regarding the trends: if it makes you look bad, please don’t do it! It’s never fashionable to look unattractive.
- Please don’t utter phrases like "dressy jeans" or "nice sweat pants" I have no problem with sweat pants or jeans, but let’s be reasonable–these things are not dressy or nice.
- I’ll offend a few people with this one, but colored denim almost never looks nice. Unless it’s white, it’s probably dating you.
- If you are a parent, please don’t use this as an excuse to wander around the world looking like complete crap. We all have those days, but some people act like, "I have kids and now I no longer have to put out any effort." I just think that’s bad for your self-esteem. You are worthy of attention–give it to yourself.
- White underwear does not belong under white clothes–we can still see it! Wear nude. Thongs should not hang out–if this is a major problem, buy different pants or skip the underwear.
- And now for my final rule: commenting on other people’s clothes is the tackiest thing of all. We all make mistakes and all show up looking less than our best. If you see somone looking bad, send up a little thank-you that it’s not you this time and go on with your business. Bad manners is a lot worse than bad clothes.
Now go, shop, and be happy!
After just a few comments, I realize some clarification is in order. When I say sweatpants can’t be nice I don’t mean that they can’t look good. I just hate when I see people at work with these clothes on–we’re teachers, clearly we need to look like we’re working and not working out. I have a pair of yoga pants that could easily double as going out pants with the right shoes, accessories, etc. I just don’t want people thinking that others don’t notice–if ya got on sweat pants, we all know.