- No white below the waist between labor day and Easter (northerners say Memorial day, but here in the south we want to bust out those white shoes on Easter Sunday).
- Velvet is only to be worn from Thanksgiving to Easter
- Open-toed shoes only when it’s warm or after six.
- Never wear open-toed shoes with bare toe nails!
- Your jewelry should always "match"–gold with gold and silver with silver. Wedding and class rings are exempt.
- When trying to decide if you can wear a pair of shoes–if darker than your hemline, it’s OK, if not, then skip ’em.
- Can black shoes be worn with a navy blue outfit? Yes, but don’t wear a navy blue shirt with a a pair of black pants.
And I’m going to weigh-in with my own personal opinion on colored panty hose. A lot of women think black skirt, black shoes, black hose OR navy skirt, navy shoes, navy hose. This is terrible. Colored panty hose make most people’s legs look horrible. Go with what make you look good, and blue legs just make you look like a smurf.
Take any "rule" with a grain of salt–if you like, wear it! Personal style is one of the most stylish options of all.